[X-Newbies] Test- Is this list still going?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jun 30 22:21:42 PDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Pat Kane wrote:

> I've been using my imac (2.4 GHZ, 4GB memory, 10.5.1) since Jan.2 .
> Around the middle of February, I installed Adobe CS3. I also had
> Painter X installed and about 300 photos in iphoto. In short, I
> didn't have too much on my new imac.
> So, middle of February, there's a prompt from Software Update, and
> I say "ok." My imac then tells me there's not enough room on my 750
> GIG hard drive for the update.
> Do I make an appointment with the Genius Bar, or can I solve this
> on my own? I have no idea what has clogged up my imac, but it's
> telling me I now have less than 3GIG of disk space available. I
> must admit I've been putting this off because I love my imac,
> but ... I really would like to have things as they should be.
> Anyone ever run into this?

Usually I only hear from someone with this problem two or three times
a year, but for some reason this is the third time this month that
I've heard from someone with this problem.

Your Mac has filled up with something invisible that is out of
control, so logically it must be either a log, a cache, or an index
file.

Generally it is one of the first two, but I've seen it also be a
corrupted Spotlight database.

So lets start with the most likely culprits.

The first thing to try is simply restarting your Mac.  If that
doesn't help...

Run Cache Out X to clear caches, and then MacJanitor to clear your
log files:

Cache Out X  (Free)
http://www.trilateralsystems.com/CacheOutX/

MacJanitor (Free)
http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/macjanitor.html

If these don't work, let me know, and I'll tell you how to delete
your Spotlight database and have it rebuild itself.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html