[X-Newbies] Laser Printer Recommendation needed

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Nov 2 14:44:12 PST 2008

On Nov 2, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Mark Taintor wrote:

> I've been using an Apple 16/600 printer for many years and it's
> been very reliable, if a bit slow, especially on large PDF files.
> Lately, it's been having lots of paper jams. The sheet will start
> to come out and get stuck, which makes the bottom several inches
> get quite crinkled.
> I'm wondering if it's time to get a new printer. Do you think it
> would be cost effective to have this one serviced?
> What recommendations would any of you have for a black and white
> laser printer if I do decide to replace this one?

Since a new, better in just about every way, laser printer can be had
for only about $150, and a really inexpensive new laser printer can
be found for as little as about $80, it  doesn't pay to invest a lot
of  money into repairing an ancient beast such as your trusty Apple
LaserWriter.

You may be able to fix it yourself inexpensively:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/apple/K66

If your can't be repaired, I highly recommend a Brother laser
printer.  Depending on your needs, this  one should be a good
replacement:

Brother HL-5240
http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=HL5240

You can get one for $140 factory refurbished (and like new) from
Tiger Direct:
http://bit.ly/1gY4Od

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance