[X-Newbies] My last OS 9 orphan application

Luther A. Myrvold lmyrvold at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 21:51:42 PDT 2008

I am facing a dilemma.  I have an intel iMac with which I am very happy - running OS X 5. No problems.

I also have an iBook running OS X 4.9.  I am still using a couple of apps that work only in OS 9 emulation.  If I upgrade to OS X 5 on the iBook, I will loose the use of these two applications.  I am most concerned with a freebie I have used for many years - "Gene 4.3.4." Its the genealogical software by David and Diana Eppstein.

Gene has not been upgraded to OS X, even though there was some clue that this was to be done. I doubt that it will be done.  There is no response to e-mails about this.

So, is there any other genealogical software that I can use to port my Gene data into?  I think Gene is a complex data base with a variety of graphic displays. I have spend countless hours entering my family data, and I would hate to do it all over again in another application.