[X-Newbies] Switch or KVM boxes?

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Sat Feb 7 16:34:24 PST 2009

A KVM box ( K=Keyboard, V=video, M=mouse) is basically a ganged switch for
doing the task you are looking for.

Your biggest problem will be finding a KVM box with EXACTLY the connectors
you are looking for AND that supports a high-enough resolution on your
monitor.

Many, for instance, use VGA connectors for video and round PS/2 connectors
for the keyboard and/or mouse. Few include sound.

I am using one from IOGEAR that does what you are looking for, but I am
using an old CRT with VGA connectors, so the model I am using would not work
(or would but with a lousy picture) with your Samsung.

I am happy with my IOGEAR ( www.iogear.com/solutions/kvm ) and suggest you
begin looking on their website. They have a bewildering variety, some of
them quite expensive, but mine -- the GCS632U -- lists for only $50 and is
available elsewhere for less.

Tip: Buy one with cables! Buying a handful of cables separately will
bankrupt you.

Tip: Look for one that offers remote switching. This lets you switch between
computers just by tapping a special key on your keyboard, rather than
reaching over and manually turning a switch on the box. This lets you put
the setup elsewhere other than cluttering up your desktop with a mess of
cables.