[X-Newbies] Hard drive formatting

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed Mar 11 06:03:00 PDT 2009

Re-formating and re-partitioning are two things.
What you seem to want is re-partitioning without destoying existing
partitions. AFAIK this can't be done with the OS X tools - there are some
commercial tools that pretend to do that, but I id not try them lately and my
prevous tries where not very successfull.

I would "CarbonCopyClone" the X.4 install, repartition and use CCC to copy it
back, but that will require an second or external disk.

Thierry

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Don wrote:
> Hi guys;
>
> I have an old G4 running X.4 on a little 40G hard drive.
>
> To do some playing around, it was partitioned into two
> 20G pieces to install Linux on one and X.4 on the other.
>
> Step 1:
> Started up on different hard drive to prepare the HD.
> Did the X.4 install. All is happy.
>
> Step 2:
> Kubuntu Linux installed happily.  The HD is now happy.
>
> Step 3: Now I want an entirely different hard drive to
> handle another linux flavor.  Attempt to format that
> drive.  I mistakenly erased the Linux install.
>
> Step 4:
> Went to try to reformat the Linux partition that had
> become two partitions during the install, and it would
> not allow reformatting 'them' back to being one continuous
> empty space in order to let the linux half find what
> it wants.
>
> The only way it would allow that would be to also trash
> the X.4 install on other hard drive.  :(
>
> So....
>
> Is there any other way to handle it other than just
> go the whole way and hose the OSX install also and
> completely start over on that drive?
>
> What I'm really looking for is a way that allows
> reformatting one or two partitions without hosing
> the third one.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Don

“Microsoft isn't evil,
they just make really crappy operating systems.” Linus Torvald