[X-Newbies] Canon MX310

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Mar 21 19:37:56 PDT 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 12:16 PM, J wrote:

>> On Mar 20, 2009, at 7:59 PM, J wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot afford to mess up my laptop..
>>
>> Are you a recent switcher from Windows?
>
> GOOD LORD NO! I've been using Macs since 1995 and have 30 of them,
> all kinds. :-)

ROFL!  I am SO sorry!  Please forgive me.

It's just that lately I hear from lots of switchers, and they almost
all say exactly the same thing...that they are afraid of "breaking"
their computer if they install a new application.  You just about
never hear a Mac user say something like that.  But apparently when
using Windows you can seriously screw up your entire computer just by
adding new software.

> I have many elderly "customers" including my own 87-year old Dad
> who is a retired musician and adores his 24" iMac and super duper
> iPod!

You're lucky.  I haven't had the same luck with my mother.  (I won't
say her age in public because I have a well-developed sense of self-
preservation.)  The experience has served to remind me that personal
computers, even Macs, aren't as easy to learn to use as acclimated
users might think.

One very odd thing.  I got her an iPhone, thinking that it would be
simple enough for her needs.  For some reason the virtual buttons
don't respond to her touch.  (I suggested to her that it may be the
same effect that you see with mirrors and vampires.)  They respond
just fine for me and everyone else.

Fortunately they now make a stylus just for the iPhone.  (Others
don't work.)  I got her one and all is now well.
http://www.eforcity.com/universal-touch-screen-stylus-for-apple-
iphone-touch-silver-dothxxxxst04.html

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance