[X-Newbies] Also... what is this? BOMArchiveHelper.app

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue Oct 27 13:04:50 PDT 2009

> From: J <themacintoshlady at earthlink.net>
>
> MY graphic never made it on the list

Of course not. This is an email list. How many graphics have you ever
seen here? None, that's how many.

Email lists support text only. No graphics.

> , but I had to restart and from
> here on in, I have mapped all .zip files to stuffit.

Terrible idea. I don't know why BOMArchiveHelper caused a problem (and
I suspect it's not really the culprit), but a simple logout would have
fixed the problem. Apple did not put that utility in there because
they were bored, they put it in there because it handles zip and dmg
and etc files. It's part of the system and you should let it do its job.

Mapping ZIP files to Stuffit is your prerogative, of course, but
Stuffit is a private entity that does not guarantee they will be there
tomorrow, and it's quite surprising that they are still around now. I
certainly wouldn't tie my files to a sinking ship like that.

Cheers
Chas

My 80s music podcast!
http://www.crustyoldwave.com