[X-Newbies] Open DNS - how to get rid of it!

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Jan 23 13:54:31 PST 2010

On Saturday 23 January 2010, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Saturday 23 January 2010, GL wrote:
> > All of a sudden, instead of the generic error page showing up when a
> > URL is bad, I am getting this awful Open DNS page that I do NOT want.
> >
> > I did NOT install anything.
> >
> > How to get rid of this putrid spyware?

Some more information (from Wikipedia):

OpenDNS is a free DNS (Domain Name System) resolution service.

OpenDNS offers DNS resolution for consumers and businesses as an alternative
to using their Internet service provider's DNS servers. By placing company
servers in strategic locations and employing a large cache of the domain
names, OpenDNS usually processes queries much more quickly,[1] thereby
increasing page retrieval speed.
(...)
OpenDNS earns a portion of its revenue by resolving a domain name to an
OpenDNS server when the name is not otherwise defined in DNS. This has the
effect that if a user types a nonexistent name in a URL in a web browser, the
user sees an OpenDNS search page. Advertisers pay OpenDNS to have
advertisements for their sites on this page. While this behavior is similar
to VeriSign's previous Site Finder or the redirects many ISP's are placing on
their own DNS servers, OpenDNS states that it is not the same, as OpenDNS is
purely an opt-in service (compared to Site Finder's effect on the entire
Internet, as VeriSign is an authoritative registry operator)[2] and that the
advertising revenue pays for the customized DNS service.[3]

So, definitely no "putrid spyware", but a DNS service that you should be able
to opt-out from.

Thierry