[X-Newbies] I got it... OPEN DNS

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Jan 23 23:40:06 PST 2010

> From: GL <themacintoshlady at earthlink.net>
>
> Have no clue how these DNS servers got into my TCP/IP panel.

To the best of my knowledge, they must be entered by hand into your router or your Mac's networking setup. You don't "download" them.

FWIW, OpenDNS can be an awfully handy "spare" DNS to use when your own ISPs resolver is down. It's a good idea to keep those numbers (or Google's new alternative) around for testing purposes.

> I did not download a thing.. happened just a few hours ago.
>
> Interesting.

Either your ISP "helpfully" provided them as an alternate DNS (good idea!), in which case they'd show up in your router's schema, or someone in your household entered them in themselves.

Charles Martin
chasm at mac.com

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac (coming soon!)

Get the beta! http://acdsee.com/proformac
Join the community! http://community.acdsee.com