[X-Newbies] Buying advice

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Oct 9 13:29:46 PDT 2010

> From: Mark Taintor <markwt at mac.com>
>
> Any thoughts?  I kind of like the idea of a small, quiet computer like
> the Mini, and it would end up being cheaper than the iMac, but it
> seems like the iMac is a whole lot more computer for the money. Is it?

It is. I'd recommend the iMac over the Mac mini (current models) as a better value primarily for three reasons:

1. The screen. The iMac uses an LED-backlit, IPS-switching screen whose quality is unsurpassed on the consumer level. A similar quality screen would set you back around $1000 all by itself (at the 27" size), and yes I think it makes a huge difference, even for "light duty" stuff.

2. The iMac uses full-size components like hard drives and video cards. The Mac mini does not. This is less of a factor for "light duty" users, but in terms of "future proofing" I think it plays a significant role.

3. Faster processor and RAM. Again, not a crucial element but it just adds to the smoother, better experience now and for years to come.

When you take a Mac mini, which is a fine piece of equipment don't get me wrong, and then add on the cost of a good-quality monitor, some decent speakers, a Magic Mouse, and a bluetooth keyboard, you'll find your total bill quite near the cost of a clearly-superior 21.5" iMac. For people who are starting fresh and don't have old components they are re-using, or for whom budget isn't their main priority, the iMac is nearly always a better value for money spent.

Cheers
Chas