[X-Newbies] Erase contents of hard disc

Keith Mills 4.oiseaux at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 4 12:07:34 PDT 2011

Sorry - me failing again. I am loving my new iMac and want to "dump" my old eMac.

I looked up how to erase the hard disc contents to make it safe to dispose of. It looked easy enough! But ...

The disc I have is "Install and Restore". Is that the right one?
I am told to hold down the C key. Is that "C', "ctrl" or "cmd"?
In Disk Utility, I have got as for as Erase and clicked on this.

Here is where I come to a halt. Where am I going wrong? I think that I have ended up using reinstall. But that is not the answer, is it?

Thanks
Keith