[X-Newbies] Erase contents of hard disc

Mark Des Cotes lists at marksmandesign.ca
Fri Apr 8 09:05:35 PDT 2011

Hi Keith,

Sorry, getting to this thread late. First off to eject a stubborn disk (or any removable media) restart the computer with the mouse button held down. Hold the button until the media is ejected. I believe you need a wired mouse for this to work. A wireless mouse wont cut it.

Now regarding the data on your eMac. Was this a personal compute or a business computer? What sort of data are you concerned with? In most cases just dragging your data to the trash and emptying it is good enough. Not many people will go to the trouble of trying to retrieve erased data from a Mac. If you're having problems erasing the drive you could just re-install the OS and tell it not to use any of the current user data. You could also create a new Administrator User account on the computer, and then delete your personal User account. This will eliminate all stored passwords, browser info such as bookmarks, cookies etc., e-mail information and personal information.

If you are planning on selling/donating the computer one of these options should be good enough. If the computer is no longer usable the best thing to do is open it up, remove the hard drive and with a drill put a few holes through it. I just helped someone "erase" 30 drives this way before scrapping them.

If this computer was used for business and the information stored on it is covered by some privacy laws then forget everything I just wrote and keep trying to fully erase the drive. Make sure you do a low level erase or choose an option to write 1s and 0s to the entire drive (sorry it's been a while since I've had to thoroughly erase a drive) this will ensure that the information is actually erased and not just deleted from the directory (which erases the "index" of the drive but leaves the actual data there).

Hope this helps.

Mark Des Cotes
Owner-Graphic Designer
Marksman Design