[X-Newbies] Erase contents of hard disc

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Fri Apr 8 09:11:43 PDT 2011

On Friday 08 April 2011 06:01:14 pm Michael Burton wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2011, at 4:30 AM, Keith Mills wrote:
(...)
>>  I cannot even eject the disk. Every time that I try to "Quit
> > Installer", it merely restarts the computer. Everything is going round in
> > circles.

Thank you Apple for choosing design against user comfort. Why is there no
emergency (mechanical) eject.

This being said, there _should_ be a keyboard combination to force eject at
restart, IIRC. for 10.4 it was (from :
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=mac/10.4/en/mh1750.html)

When you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F keys.
(The Command key has an Apple on it.)
Release the keys when you see a white welcome screen.
At the prompt, type:
eject cd
Press Return, then wait a few seconds. The disc drive should eject the disc,
and "ok" appears on the screen when the action is complete.
Type:
mac-boot
Press Return.

Can't try... I run a Hackintosh...