A big Directory Access mistake

Steve St-Laurent st-laur at telus.net
Fri Jan 24 17:56:43 PST 2003

Not sure exactly what I did but adjusting a couple of settings in
Directory Access and running Open Directory Assistant I managed to
wreck access. No passwords accepted at login. Used the installer disk
to reset the root password, which lets me reboot, only dumped into
single-user mode. Running forensics on stupidity is iffy at the best of
times, but does anyone have any ideas on what happened?

The whole thing left me too frazzled to remember what I changed, A
couple of questions arising from this:

1. On a stand-alone server what are typical settings for Directory
Access and Open Directory?

2. Being only half-stunned, I used a barebones 10.2 Server installed on
a separate partition to restore services. Are there particular
directory-access settings or preferences that could be trashed on the
original server -- to be rebuilt or copied from second server -- which
would restore the first server?

3. Is this an instance of Authorization Trampoline? [Found an item by
this name in Core Services and just dying to know what the heck it is.
:~]