[X Servers] "local" home folders

oemx oem at mac.com
Sat Mar 22 12:43:47 PST 2003

I'm not a 'Pro' but i do use osXsever with users home directory stored
on it, so users can log in any computer with the same home dir.

I did encounter your pb and solved it with 2 things :

[All my clients have Static private IP]

first one :

After setting an account on the server (a 'network' and not local
account). just log out from the server, and log in as the user itself.
This will create the homedir folder of the said user. then log out and
back in with your account (admin account) to set up other users if you
need. I had to do this for each user. if not no home directory is
created (I installed 3 time OsXServer and each time it was the same)

Second one
and Very important for the 'user log in on client computer'.

On each computer in wich your users will need to log in to, go to
/Application/Utilities and launch Directory Access.
authenticate, and then in the Services tab activate 'Netinfo' if not
done, then click on configure.

Uncheck 	: Attempt to connect using Broadcast protocol

Uncheck 	: Attempt to connect using DHCP protocol   --->(my client have
Static IP)

Check 	: Attempt to connect using a specific NetInfo service
put your server ID in the Server Adress and put 'network' in the Server
Tag.

Shut down the computer. *
And then Start it again. at the Login Window click on Other and enter
user and password.
You should log in with no Problems.

* I insist on the difference between Shutdown and Restart.
You must shutdown the client computer.
  don't know exactly why but a restart do not work .????
I told Apple about this. don't know if they've included this in there
knowledgebase.

This works quite good since 7 months. Sometimes client can't log in or
have login autentification failing.
a restart of the client computer generally solves the pb.
Sometimes I do restart the Server itself.