Webdav authentication problems

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 29 21:35:44 PST 2003

Hi,
I need some help figuring out a problem I am having setting up webdav.

I am currently using OS 10.3 (not server), running the default apache.
Previously under 10.2 I had webdav set up correctly so that I could transfer
files from home to work etc. However, now I seem to be having a problem with
authentication that I just can¹t figure out. If I use no authentication I
can log into the webdav folder and PUT and GET files. But when I use
authentication (which is only proper) it won¹t recognise my passwords. I
have checked out tons of web resources, checked and double-checked
everything, but I can¹t get this problem figured out.

The relevant parts of my httpd.conf file look like this:

DAVLockDB /Library/WebServer/davlocks/DAVLockDB
DAVMinTimeout 600

<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/dav">

        DAV on

       AllowOverride None
        AuthName "DAV Restricted"
        AuthType Basic
        AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwords/webdav.htaccess

        require valid-user

#       <LimitExcept GET HEAD OPTIONS>
#               require user craig
#       </LimitExcept>

</Directory>

Of course, I also uncommented both the LoadModule and AddModule parts of
httpd.conf file.

The DAVLock file (webdav.htaccess) and the dav folder were both chowned to
Œwww¹ (same as Apple¹s Apache) and were chmod¹ed to 777 just incase those
permissions were the problem.

The problem seems to be with htpasswd. I did
%  htpasswd webdav.access craig
(with the ­c flag first time, and with the ­m flag sometimes)

And entered a simple password. When I checked out the resultant file
everything looks correct:
craig:kOoBaHfoxGw.o
guest:cDZyVvnO83ggk

But when I try to connect to server http://192.168.123.174/dav or try to
publish an iCal calendar I just get error messages saying that one or more
required items can¹t be found (error code -43).  When I try server
http://127.0.0.1/dav I at least get the authentication box to come up and it
would then tell me that my user name or password was incorrect.

Any information or guidance in solving this problem would be much
appreciated.

Craig Hagerman