[X Servers] Server Monitor can't connect [fixed]

Marcel Hochuli mhochuli at a-f.ch
Fri Aug 6 03:35:38 PDT 2004

Hi James

I had the very same problem yesterday while installing Mac OS X Server
10.3.3 on a new Xserve G5. I never had 10.3.3 Installer CDs before and
I never had the same problem before (I installed almost 30 Xserve so
far).

Which was your install procedure? Directly on Xserve with keyboard and
monitor, remotely with Server Assistant on another system or the server
attached via FireWire to another system?

I did the last. I connected the Xserve via FireWire on my PowerBook and
installed it that way. It could be, that the installer removed the
missing line from watchdog.conf as it is intelligently determining that
the PowerBook is not supporting hwmond.

That's my consideration. We would know it more exactly, if you tell us
how you installed it.

Thanks,
Marcel

+---