10.3.2 Print server - issues

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 14 16:20:17 PST 2004

It must be something I've done incorrectly, Apple wouldn't possibly
have released software with these problems surely!

We have an Xserve (Dual 1.33GHz, 2Gb of RAM, 4 x 60Gb drives) running
10.3.2 and all the other patches to 10.3.

Its running AFP, DHCP, DNS, FTP, Open Directory, Print, Web and Windows.

Two issues:

1. File space disappears rapidly. Its gone from 20Gb free to 10Mb in
under 24 hrs! A review of the /var/spool/cups/tmp folder found some
400,000 files in the folder!

I've deleted the folder manually and replaced it with a new one with
the same permissions and the space is now back.

However, surely we don't have to do this manually. Why doesn't the
printing software delete these temporary files after the jobs are
printed?

2. Print services are extremely fickle for PC users. The PC's connect
as "guests" and can access the share points however on a given day a
PC can print to a specific printer via the server and the next day
odds are it wont.

The PC's range between Win 98, Win 2000, NT4 and Win XP Pro.
Sometimes the Win XP machines provide an error message such as
"access denied" but by and large the PC's users don't get any error
messages - they send jobs to the printer and never see them again.

I don't really want to abandon the Print Services and go back to
manually defining each printer for each PC but its looking more and
more like the only solution.

All this on 10.3.2 which I thought was meant to IMPROVE printing ????!!!!

Does anyone know if 10.3.3 is just around the corner and addresses
this or am I stuffed?

Any ideas?
--
Regards,

Mark (}-:

AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

ON YOUTH
"Some people say that I must be a horrible person, but that's not true.
I have the heart of a young boy -- in a jar on my desk." -- Stephen
King, 3/8/90