[X Servers] Is OS X Server right for us?

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Tue Mar 30 07:22:16 PST 2004

Frank Flynn wrote on Monday, March 29, 2004:
>-Where can I find out about the particular features of OS X server (as
>opposed to those open source similar tools I can find and load for free) - I
>did look on Apple's web site but the pages there aren't very detailed; it
>says yes we can connect all your users - Mac and PC's and life will be
>beautiful...  But I'd like to have a good understanding before I talk these
>guys into spending a few thousand $$'s.

As Brent has pointed out, you can do a lot of what X Server does with open source and/or a little work.  For instance, the client version of OS X (10.3) comes with a complete implementation of the PostFix mail server; The exact same version that comes with OS X Server.  But there are no tools or instructions in the client version for configuring it as a mail server.  If you want to spend a day or so getting to know PostFix, you can set it up and get a mail server for free.

>-The fundamental things I'm looking for are:
>    Universal users accounts (one person, one PW on all machines)
>    User file management (my personal files follow me where I login)
>    Universal backup and recovery
>    Easy administration
>I assume I will fine all of these in the OS X server (no?)

Backup and recovery is not part of OS X, in any version.  This is considered to be a third-party domain.  For networked backup and management, I'd recommend Retrospect Workgroup server.

Everything else you mentioned is part of OS X Server.  Especially the "Easy Administration" part.  While I'm sure you could probably set up an OpenDirectory server on OS X client, I wouldn't want to be the person to do it.  On the other hand, using the Server Admin utility that comes with OS X Server makes this a breeze.

>-Are there any thoughts about running OS X on older iMacs (300 to 500 Mhz)?
>Obviously I'd like to upgrade this hardware but depending on what I spend
>for the server I just can't afford it.

I've been running OS X Server (10.1/10.2) on a Beige G3, which I upgraded to a G4/400, for years.  It runs as a file server and run Retrospect for backups.  I was even using it as a network router for a while.  It is sufficient for these jobs, although you'll just have to be patient especially when it comes to backup performance.  And make sure you have enough RAM (at least 512MB).

>-If we keep some of the Mac on OS 9 does the X server do anything for them
>besides a appleshare fileserver?

NetBoot (which you can only get via OS X Server) still supports OS 9 -- I believe ... don't quote me on that though.  If you want some of the features you're talking about (personal files follow you around as you log into different machines), then NetBoot might be the way to go.  This depends a lot on your usage patterns.