[X-Servers] Netboot

Chris W. chris at uoregon.edu
Wed Nov 17 09:57:22 PST 2004

Hey All,

I have this odd thing I keep getting.

I have a first gen Xserver running 10.3.4.

It has has this problem since 10.3.1.

Problem: Netboot services will stop working. The image name will
display in startup preference pane on the client. The globe doesnt show
up in the Boot Options menu. There is only one image on my netboot
server, a diskless 10.3.5 image, which is set to default.

Upgrading the OS was my first attempt. Second attempt was creating new
images. Third attempt was removing the other 6 images. This server is
only running simple default services, ftp, ssh, afp, ard, and filemaker
server 5.5. I cannot explain why this occurs. A reboot appears to fix
the problem but for an undeterminable length of time.

Has anyone seen this? Beat this? I am very familiar with
netboot/netinstall, and I can only assume I am overlooking the obvious.

Other notes:
Clients are all different, from Sawtooth g4 to iMac g5, 10.2.x, 10.3.x.
This occurs on same switch, on different switch.
This occurs if I use netboot frequently or infrequently.
This machine is not running DHCP, and I have another server (QS g4)
which behaves fine.
Server admin shows the service still running, and starting and stopping
it do not work.

TIA,

Chris W.
School of Architecture and Allied Arts Computing Services

M284 Lawrence Hall
5249 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR  97403
(541) 346 2082