[X-Servers] Newbie with setup questions

Peter C.S. Adams adamsp at cs.umb.edu
Mon Oct 25 19:31:34 PDT 2004

> should set it up as a stand-alone server but do I enter the users in
> the Accounts pane of System Preferences or do I use the Workgroup
> Manager?

Forget the Preferences Pane -- do everything from Server Admin and Workgroup
Manager. Using the server as an Open Directory master has some interesting
possibilities but you will probably want to stick to using it as a
standalone. One quirk you will have to deal with is OS X's odd home
directory behavior. It'll take you some trial and error to get new users to
have correct home directories, but this is important, or they won't be taken
to their user directories when they FTP in.

> Since I have a Linksys router on my DSL line I assume I'll
> have to open up ports 21 and 80.  If possible I would like to use QSS
> and point a webcam out my window and be able to see what's going on
> 24/7.  Would that use a different port or would I be accessing a web
> page to see it?

I believe you can set QTSS to stream on port 80, but that's from memory.

> On the LAN side of the Linksys router I want to use the same computer
> as a print and file server and maybe share my iTunes library.  That
> shouldn't be a problem, right?

I don't see how. You don't necessarily need to block iTunes and file sharing
from the internet, of course; however, if you're particularly concerned
about security, make sure to use secure FTP (SFTP) rather than FTP.

Good luck!

      peter