[X-Servers] KDC will not run - "Unable to bind to Parent" error?

Rich Trouton flounder at mac.com
Wed Sep 22 09:47:44 PDT 2004

Do you have your server set up as an Open Directory master, or as a
standalone server?

	Rich

On Sep 22, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Frank Flynn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an xServer and i want to have it authenticate users on other
> Macs in the office.
>
> The server is up and working, users can login to it.  But the clients
> cannot authenticate through this server - a quick look in the "Open
> Directory" shows the KDC is "stopped".  Looking in the logs shows this
> "Unable to bind to parent" error everytime the server starts up.
>
> I think I have DNS set up properly - it can ping itself and the rest
> of the internet (by name) is there a better way to test?
>
> Does anyone know what this is?  Or does anyone know of a step by step
> guide to walk me through setting up authentication?
>
> Frank

---

Rich Trouton (Contractor)
LAN Support
rtrouton at mail.nih.gov
National Human Genome Research Institute
National Institutes of Health — Bethesda, MD

Office number:
(240) 476-3652

NHGRI LAN Support number:
(301) 402-7408

The best way to get in touch with me is through email.