[X-Servers] IMAP/POP servers - Authentication errors

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 7 06:52:34 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have a PowerBook G4 with Mac OS 10.3.8 and read my mail with Entourage
2004.  I would like to read the messages that get deposited in
/var/mail/<me>, without having to use using pine or mail as I do currently.
Entourage doesn't allow you to mount file-based mailboxes (you can import
them, but not subscribe to them) so I thought about using a local
mailserver.  I seem to have successfully installed imap but I can't
authenticate.

I downloaded and installed the latest imap and pop daemons from UW, using
the commands

$ make oxp SSLTYPE=nopwd SSLDIR=/usr SSLCERTS=/etc/sslcerts
$ sudo openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out /etc/sslcerts/imapd.pem  -keyout
/etc/sslcerts/imapd.pem -days 3650

Then I added this line to /etc/inetd.conf (sorry if it wraps):

imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/tcpd
/usr/local/libexec/imapd

Finally I restarted xinetd.

Now when I try to connect using an IMAP client (even "telnet localhost 143")
I can't login.  I get the NO LOGIN failed response.  I've also tried
building with the arguments SSLTYPE=unix (to allow plaintext logging in,
kind of a no-no).  Same problem.

Related question: Once it gets working, I only want to allow connections on
the IMAP port from localhost.  Can I do that with the
/etc/hosts.{deny,allow} files?

Any clues?

--Matt

--