[X-Servers] problems getting Xserve online

Bob Bergey bob at bergey.net
Wed Jun 29 10:56:21 PDT 2005

At 8:28 AM -0400 on 6/29/05, Peter C.S. Adams wrote:

>  What happens if you try to connect to the web server using the numeric
>  address, e.g. 1.2.3.4? If that works, you either don't have a DNS entry for
>  the server or it hasn't appeared in your DNS server yet. It can sometimes
>  take a few days for this to propagate through the system.
>
>  Regarding the mail server, this could be the issue as well, but you also
>  need to make sure the server has an MX (mail exchange) record in the DNS.
>  Otherwise, other mail servers won't know that it handles the mail for your
>  domain.

Thanks, Peter, also thanks for adding the appropriate subject line.
The Web server is running, because I can connect IF I'm on the local
network and use the 192.168.x.x address, but does NOT work connecting
remotely using the full static IP address. However I can connect
remotely, as I said, using Server Admin, using EITHER the numeric IP
address or the domain name. I also have the MX record in the DNS
settings, so I don't think that's the issue either. Hopefully this
gives some additional clues as to where the problem might be. I can't
help but think it's something very simple, but I'm very frustrated at
not being able to find it.

One more thing .... the Xserve is behind a Linksys router, but I've
given full access to the Xserve's local IP address, just as I did the
server it's replacing. Why would I be able to connect remotely with
Server Admin and Server Monitor, but nothing else?

Bob