[X-Servers] Xserve Initial Config Problems -- Solution

Bob Bergey bob at bergey.net
Thu May 12 08:24:25 PDT 2005

At 5:58 PM -0400 on 5/1/05, Bob Bergey wrote:

>  I'm an Xserve newbie ... just got my new Xserve G5, OS X 10.3.7
> installed. I'm trying to configure it from my PowerBook using
> Server Assistant, but it doesn't show up in the dialog for
> configuring it remotely. I'm connected on the same network it is,
> with a Linksys router, plus I've tried connecting it directly to
> just the PowerBook. But it's not showing up. Also, after going
> though it's intial startup, the blue activity lights all remain lit
> all the time, even without it connected to anything. Does that
> indicate a problem before I even connect?

Problem solved ... There are two Ethernet ports in the back of the
Xserve, and I was using the top one ... I switched to the bottom one
at a suggestion from someone on the Apple forums, and that solved my
problem! Even the activity lights suddenly behaved normally. Such a
simple thing, but I don't remember reading that anywhere in the
manual; if it's there, I overlooked it.

Bob