[X-Servers] Power Outage and Mail Box Corruption

Bob Bergey bob at bergey.net
Sat Jan 21 19:52:24 PST 2006

I'm not sure if this list is still active or not -- haven't seen any
posts since early November. Anyone here?!! I'm desperate for help, so
thought I'd give it a try anyway ....

My Xserve G5 running OS 10.3.9 experienced a power outage this
afternoon. I've had 100% up time since it went online in early
October 2005. (Adding an interruptible power supply is on my list of
things to do, but I didn't get to it yet, unfortunately.)

Following the power outage this afternoon, the server restarted and
came right back online as it was set to do. However the one mailbox
in the mail system apparently was corrupted somehow, and now I get
the following error when I try to check mail:

   POP server said: -ERR [SYS/PERM] Could not read message file

I tried deleting the mailbox and recreating it, but that didn't seem
to make any difference -- I still get the same error -- and the same
number of messages are still there, too -- does that mean my deletion
attempt didn't work? I'm not worried too much about losing mail
already in the box (about 70 messages, I think), as I wouldn't have
received much important mail today on a Saturday. However I need to
have it working by Monday at the latest, preferably sooner.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance,

Bob