[X-Unix] locate missing after upgrading to 10.3.x

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 5 11:27:05 PDT 2004

On Apr 5, 2004, at 3:09 pm, Justin French wrote:

> In the terminal, it seems I have a problem with "locate" since I
> upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.3(.3).
>
> ---
> [indentclients:~] justinfr% locate hosts
> locate: no database file /var/db/locate.database.
> ---
>
> Can anyone suggest how I might correct this?

Read `man locate`

   FILES
      /var/db/locate.database       Database
      /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb  Script to update database.

Therefore:
   $ sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

Thereafter the database will update weekly, in the early hours of a
Saturday or Sunday morning IIRC, provided your computer is switched on
at that time.

HTH,

Stroller.