[X-Unix] procmail

Adrian Simmons adriman at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 7 05:36:09 PDT 2004

Alexandre Gauthier wrote:
> Would you mind enlightening me on what this combination does exactlty?
Already sent this to Rick off list, so here you go:

My personal setup goes like this:

Outward Mail:
Direct to my ISP email account from Apple Mail

Incoming Mail:
Fetchmail - collects mail from my ISP pop accounts, passes mail to
postfix smtp server

Postfix - an smtp server, delivers mail to individual users on my system
by invoking Procmail

Procmail - sends all mail through Clamav (open source antivirus filter),
deletes a message if a virus is found and logs this. Sends all remaining
messages through Spamassassin which tags messages with a spam score,
Procmail then deletes any messages over a certain score and logs this.
Finally Procmail delivers remaining messages to the users mail spool.

Qpopper - a pop server, when Apple Mail checks for new mail Qpopper
retrieves messages from the mail spool and passes them to Apple Mail

> I'm kinda looking for a way to fetch the mail from my ISP's mail server and
> put it in my local qmail account so I can access it via IMAP...
Fetchmail, is installed by Apple, and I use that, some people use
something call Popfile (so you might want to google on that). 'man
fetchmail'. In theory it's possible to invoke Procmail (also already
installed by Apple) from fetchmail (I couldn't get it to work, so I go
via postfix), so you should be able to have fetchmail collect mail from
your isp accounts, pass it to Procmail which will then place it in your
mail spool (assuming Qmail picks up mail from there).

So where I go:
ISP > Fetchmail > Postfix > Procmail [ClamAV, Spamassassin] > spool at
/var/mail/username > Qpopper > Apple Mail

You could go:
ISP > Fetchmail > Procmail > spool at /var/mail/username > Qmail > Apple
Mail

or maybe:
ISP > Fetchmail > Postfix > Procmail > spool at /var/mail/username >
Qmail > Apple Mail

> Any how-to on the subject would be very appreciated.
They're out there on the web, at least various pieces, get googling. I
should probably write this up though, for my shiny new (it has no posts
yet) blog, I also have an Apple/Shell script combo I use for turning
fetchmail on/off I could share (I like to turn it off when I'm gaming
online).
Maybe in a month I'll have the time...meanwhile HTH.

Adrian