[X-Unix] sips

Brian P. Minnebo brian at minnebo.net
Thu Apr 8 07:26:56 PDT 2004

> Hello Folks,
>
> Has anyone begun using sips? ("Scriptable Image Processing System, a built in component of the OS X graphics subsystem")
>
> I have a friend who is a graphic artist and long time Mac user. He's moved to OS X from 9 and likes it although he's a  card-carrying command line sceptic. He often asks "why all the hoopla about OS X internals? what can UNIX do for me?".

> My first attempt was the following test, I ran this on a set of around 50 images from a digital camera in separate sub directories :-
>
> find . -name '*.jpg' |xargs -j % sips -s format bmp %
>
> This works fine, the files are updated in place but the .jpg filename extension is not changed from jpg to bmp.

Try something like this:

  # pipe list of jpg's to while loop
  find . -name \*.jpg -print | while read i
  do
	# calculate filename w/out extension
    dir=`dirname $i`
    base=`basename $i .jpg`
    file="$dir/$base"

	# update and rename file
    echo sips -s format bmp "$file.jpg"
    echo mv "$file.jpg" "$file.bmp"
  done

Remove the "echo " parts when you are satisfied the command will do what  you expect.

> Has anyone done anything more useful with this utility?

Actuall, I've not used it.  I rely on ImageMagick for such things.

Brian