[X-Unix] What's in an MP3's resource fork..? [Was: Re: [X4U] ._annoying_files on SMB shares - can I remove them..?]

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 19 23:42:37 PDT 2004

On 4/20/04 4:34 AM, "Stroller" <MacMonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> So I think it's safe to say that the resource forks of jpegs and other
> images can safely be removed, as with Word .doc files. But what about
> those of MP3s..? Does iTunes keep any data there..? What about any
> other filetypes of which the resource forks are either essential or
> unimportant..?

AFAIK, the only things in resource forks are thumbnails for graphics, or
other non-essential metadata. The only real exception that I can recall
(though I'm sure there are others) is Nisus Writer Classic files, where all
the formatting info is stored in the resource fork. There should be no
resource forks in MP3s (unless they're Trojans) or Word files.

Kirk

        My new e-book: Take Control of Users and Accounts in Panther
          http://www.tidbits.com/takecontrol/panther/users.html
  . . . . . . .  kirk at mcelhearn.com | http://www.mcelhearn.com  . . . . . .
  . .  Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France  . .