[X-Unix] What's in an MP3's resource fork..? [Was: Re: [X4U] ._annoying_files on SMB shares - can I remove them..?]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Apr 20 17:15:24 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004, at 19:36 Canada/Eastern, Stroller wrote:

> [...] I think we've had this conversation before

Indeed.

> and I still fail to understand what useful information can be stored
> in the resource fork

Since my arguments have failed, I'll have to leave it to someone else.
I'll just add -- to horrify you even further -- that the HFS+ specs
include the preliminary definition of (and Carbon APIs can deal with)
not merely two forks, but any number of named forks, for folders as
well as for files. Be thankful for small mercies. Where will you be if
they implement it fully in OS XI?!

> [...] I seem to get confused about content-type & creator metadata.

That, too, has been explained (I'm not sure I see the connection of
creator/type codes to forks -- perhaps it's that they are two things
which only the Mac can boast of)?

> I'm not sure if your analogy is helpful, tho'.

Only in the purely pragmatic sense that, if one has to make a living in
China, one might find it more productive to learn Chinese than to
complain that the Chinese don't speak English and that it's impossible
to translate exactly Chinese into English.

> If language is for the purposes of communication then in an ideal
> modern world we would all speak some kind of Esperanto [...]

So, you're one of those lick-spittle running dogs of Esperanto
imperialism, are you? But the relentless march of progress has already
consigned you to the dust heap of history. Long live the victory of the
toiling masses -- and Volapuk ueber alles!