guest FTP

Robert Frank robert.frank at unibas.ch
Wed Apr 21 07:46:30 PDT 2004

DON't set up a normal user, unless you want to send the password around
the world ...

To set up an anonymous ftp access, you simply have to add an ftp user
to NetInfo and then enable ftp in the system preferences.

The following link will assist you in doing so:

http://macosx.org/software/applications/anonftp.html

Bassically, it tells you to set up a user called 'ftp' and a group
called 'ftp'. You can forget the stuff about creating and populating
the bin and lib directories, these are NOT necessary for the 10.3.3
version.

Robert

On 21 Apr 2004, at 16:15, Mac OS X Unix wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm on OS X.3.3 (not server), and I'm looking for a safe way to allow a
> "guest" to FTP into my machine (with password), to "drop off" files for
> me.
>
> So, I set up a new user "visitor" via System Preferences, and "locked
> it down" to a simple finder with no apps/utilities/etc.
>
> My hope would be that this user could FTP in, but would not have access
> to files outside of /Users/visitor/ at all, or perhaps access to
> /Users/*/Public/Drop Box.
>
> However, when I ftp in over my LAN as visitor, I'm given full reign of
> the machine.  For example, I can go to /Users/justin/Documents/ and
> take anything I want.  Not good.
>

> So, how can I lock down visitor?  Or should I be using "guest" or
> something else?  Surely I'm missing something pretty simple!
>
> I'd prefer to do all this via a GUI if possible, rather than by CLI,
> but CLI is better than nothing!

Departement Informatik             tel  +41 (0)61 267 14 66
Universitaet Basel                      fax. +41 (0)61 267 14 61
Robert Frank
Klingelbergstrasse 50              Robert.Frank at unibas.ch
CH-4056 Basel
Switzerland