[X-Unix] Air port - who is logged in?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Wed Aug 4 14:20:18 PDT 2004

On 04 Aug, 2004, at 08:30, Peter Schumacher wrote:
>  how did you get it to work? It always reports a "timemout" on my
> Titanium.
> (MacOSX 10.3.4, original Airport graphite)
>>
>>>  From: "William H. Magill" <magill at mcgillsociety.org>
>> .
>>>  See the notes for the Wireless host monitor.
>>> http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

There are two different versions depending upon which base station you
are using.

Verson 1.1 should support all 3 base stations. (I'm running it under
10.3.4 with both a Graphite and an AEBS... However, it does not know
about the express, unless the MIB is unchanged.

Beyond that, it depends on which interface you are using.

If you are using the 802.11 interface (10.0.1.1) all you need is the
community name ... aka password.

However, if you are trying to use the IP address you need to first
enable WAN management by checking the "Enable remote configuration"
(which is actually the default) on the "Base Station Options) popup
from the  "AirPort" tab in the Airport Admin Utility.

(Note that the SNMP management checkbox also needs to be checked for a
response from either interface.) And if I remember correctly, you MUST
assign a password to the base station if either option is enabled.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com