[X-Unix] what the fork?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Mon Aug 9 18:48:30 PDT 2004

On 09 Aug, 2004, at 15:03, Victor Eijkhout wrote:
> Trying to install some big package (lots of compiles):
>
> /bin/sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> /bin/sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> /bin/sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

It's a Kernel limit.

The problem usually has to do with the defaults for the number of
processes which any single uid may have (or even the system).
[Nominally - "maxprocperuser"]

I don't know in Darwin, but in most Unix versions, these are NOT
dynamic numbers but are normally set  when the kernel is built.
However, because most Unix systems are optimized for multi-user time
sharing, and not for "scientific" work or even heavy duty programming,
the limits are frequently encountered doing exactly what you are trying
to do -- install some large package.

There is nothing wrong.  The Kernel is just doing what it was told to
do.

It looks like in Darwin, the parameter involved might be NPIDS (maximum
number of PIDs per process) which is set to 16. But I'm not
particularly conversant with the kernel.

In some Unix versions these can be modified via /etc/sysconfigtab.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com