[X-Unix] what the fork?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Aug 10 09:08:45 PDT 2004

On 10 Aug, 2004, at 09:24, Victor Eijkhout wrote:

>> It looks like in Darwin, the parameter involved might be NPIDS
>> (maximum number of PIDs per process) which is set to 16. But I'm not
>> particularly conversant with the kernel.
>
> Is that a compile--time constant? Another respondent pointed me to the
> "sysctl" command, and nothing related to "pid" seems to appear there.
> In fact, that command seems to indicate a considerably more generous
> limit:
> kern.maxprocperuid = 100

Ignore my NPIDS parameter comment. I forgot that Darwin uses sysctl,
not sysconfigtab. ... that's the problem with supporting multiple Unix
operating systems, they tend to blend together.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com