[X-Unix] Restart Airport Base-Station

peter boardman pete.boardman at pobox.com
Fri Aug 13 11:48:27 PDT 2004

William H. Magill <magill at mcgillsociety.org> said on 13/8/04, 10:28
(-0400 GMT):

> On 13 Aug, 2004, at 07:13, peter boardman wrote:
> > Is there a UNIX command to resart an Airport Extreme Base Station?
> > There’s no AppleScript support that I can
> > see, and I keep having to restart the base station to get an internet
> > connection back.
>
> None that I am aware of ... I've taken to leaving AMU running all the
> time lately. The problem is most annoying.

Thanks for your message - at least it’s not just me having this problem.

I have a very simple setup: a dial-up connection through the AEBS’ modem.
DHCP lease set for 30 days, but it’s never really the base station itself that
goes wrong, more its ability to do the internet connection via modem.
Restarting via wireless is the quickest way to get it back. Walking over to it
and pulling out the power cable takes a bit longer... :-)

> 2- The second thing which the AEBS does is to "timeout" wireless
> sessions. There IS an "inactivity timer" (of unknown duration) in the
> AEBS software. These timeouts are logged by the AEBS...
> "dissassociated with station <MACaddr> (inactivity)" followed one tenth
> of a second later by an entry "reassociated with station <MACaddr>"

Perhaps this is the cause. But it’s odd that it doesn’t always happen
overnight, yet can happen during a 30 minute lunch break... I’ve yet to see
a pattern.

> Note that net-snmp is included in 10.3 and can be used to query the
> AEBS directly from the command line.

I’ll investigate.

Thanks for your help.

Pete