[X-Unix] Norton Commander-like tool?

Chuck Burkins cburkins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 08:31:51 PST 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:11:22 +0800, Mark Philip <markphilip at christian.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> When I used to use DOS years ago, I used the exceptional Norton
> Commander, a fast file management tool. I can't remember what the
> equivalent program was called in Linux, even though I have used it.
> Anyone know if the OSX command line interface supports a Norton
> Commander-like tool?

Yes, if you use the GNU tool, Midnight Commander (mc). It is available
as part of fink, though I find the fink implementation lacking. This
hint:
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040112172024838>
has a good description of compiling mc under OS X, and this compiled
version works brilliantly.

There are also several graphical implementation of the same kind of
interface. I've tried two, muCommander and Disk Order Commander, both
available from Version Tracker. I personally like Midnight Commander
better, since a lot of my work of from the command line anyway, and I
can also install it on my Linux and FreeBSD servers.

HTH
Chuck