[X-Unix] finding the ip of my work machine (DHCP) on demand, file/dir sync'ing

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Fri Dec 17 11:31:15 PST 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 7:20 AM, James Bucanek wrote:

> Rad Craig wrote on Friday, December 17, 2004:
>
>> I want to run Apple Remote Desktop.  I have a computer at work and
>> need
>> to access it from home.  It has a DSL connection using DHCP.
>> Therefore, my ip address changes occasionally.
>>
>> Is there any script, utility, app, whatever, that allows me to find
>> out
>> what the current ip address of that machine is?  I mean something that
>> sends me an email when the ip address changes, uploads a text file
>> with
>> the ip address in it to a website, or some other means, so that when I
>> need to connect to it from home, I can go one place, find the current
>> ip address, then put that in ARD and connect.
>
> Don't screw around with scripts and e-mail.  I've seen people try to
> roll their own solution to this, and you just end up losing time and
> hair.
>
> Use <http://www.dyndns.org/>, or any similar service.  Register, set
> up your client, plug in your dyndns.org domain name at work, and
> forget about it.  I use this service for all of my clients.

I agree. I use http://www.zoneedit.com for free DNS service and
DNSUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6999). I also use
www.godady.com as my domain registrar. They're not the least expensive,
but they have a service where they will proxy for you as the owner of
the domain so that your personal information is not publicized in the
DNS records, which protects that information from spammers and junk
mailers.

Phil