[X-Unix] Beginners questions on Unix Mail

kim pluvia at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 05:22:00 PST 2004

I am a complete beginner in Unix and I am trying to understand how to
send and receive email.

First off, where does the Hostname come from? By that I mean, how is it
generated? Mine begins with the IP address, is followed by a bit I
don't understand, and ends with the domain name of the Internet Service
Provider.

The start and end make sense to me, but where does that middle bit come
from? Does it mean anything in particular? And can I change it?