[X-Unix] NFS share?

Robert Frank robert.frank at unibas.ch
Mon Dec 20 22:26:41 PST 2004

Errm, folks, this MacOS (OPENSTEP), not linux ....

/etc/exports is ignored! You will have to make the entries in NetInfo.
On the server  this is done with the WorkgroupManager, on the client
this is most probably done with the NFSManger, or manually.

Use NetInfoManger to make the following entry:

Connect to the local domain (the default), and authenticate as the
administrator or root, then
  - create a subdirectory 'exports' under the root [click on /, select
Directory -> New Subdirectory from the menu,
          click on the property's value and enter 'exports']
  - create a subdirectory '/Users/Shared/fc3' under the exports directory
    [click on exports, select Directory -> New Subdirectory from the
menu, click on the property's value and enter '/Users/Shared/fc3']
- add the following properties and values:
   opts  ro
             mapall=nobody
             192.254.129.117
   [click on the name property of '/Users/Shared/fc3', select Directory
-> New Property from the menu, enter 'opts'
   double click on the value and enter 'ro'
   click on the opts property again, select Directory -> New Value from
the menu and enter 'mapall=nobody',
   click on the opts property again, select Directory -> New Value from
the menu and enter '192.254.129.117']

Do not enter the quotes.

Save the settings and reboot [the nfs daemons have to be started].

Check that the nfs daemons (nfsd) are running. You should now be able
to see the share with
showmount -e localhost

Robert

On 20 Dec 2004, at 17:08, x-unix-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Hi there everyone,
>                              I am attempting to create an NFS share
> directory on my ibook  in the  /Users/Shared/ location , I named this
> directory fc3 as I have placed some ISO images there so I can install
> Fedora Core 3 onto my imac from the ibook. I can't find much info
> anywhere as to what I have to do to configure the NFS server. I added
> an exports file ( /Users/Shared/fc3 ro mapall=nobody 192.254.129.117 )
> to the "/etc"  directory and was wondering exactly what it is I have to
> add to this file? I have connected to the ibook from the imac via eth0
> after booting from the "boot.iso" disk and I get the the message "This
> directory cannot be mounted by the NFS server".
>                            Obviously I am leaving something out and as
> am but a novice at this am finding it a bit of a challenge!
>                  T.I.A    John.
> P.S. I hope I have enough info?

Departement Informatik   FGB   tel   +41 (0)61 267 14 66
Universität Basel                          fax. +41 (0)61 267 14 61
Robert Frank
Klingelbergstrasse 50                 Robert.Frank at unibas.ch
CH-4056 Basel
Switzerland