[X-Unix] nevermind, figured it out ;) (re: simple commandline one-shot emailer)

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Feb 3 10:10:50 PST 2004

On 03 Feb, 2004, at 06:54, Barry Lyden wrote:
> Just curious - If you don't mind my asking,  what is this script
> intended
> for? Command line interfaces to the UNIX mail facility are already
> there -
> but controlling the server and from fields are not usually something
> that
> folks do, so you must have a unique reason.

It is something that you must do in order to send a mail message.
Normally, your MUA (Mail User Agent) does it for you automatically.
However, when you are building a message from scratch, you have to do
all of the protocol work yourself.

It is trivial to do, most MUAs allow you to do it, and is the reason
why Worms, SPAMMers and the like are difficult for some to recognize
and to trace. ...
Because most MUA's display only the "friendly" From and To header lines
and hide the rest of the mail headers from you in the name of being
"user
friendly." (with Mail.app, simply select "view message source" to see
them
in all their glory.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com