[X-Unix] Port Forwarding ssh using -R option

Daniel Morrison dmorriso at eagle7.org
Thu Feb 5 15:56:19 PST 2004

The -R is to forward from a port on one machine to another machine.  But
it won't work unless you can SSH to your router from your Mac.

So, if I had my Mac, a Linux gateway, and an outside client machine, it
might go something like this:

1) I ssh from my Mac to the gateway, telling it to redirect any connection
to port 1025 on gateway to port 22 on the mac.

2) I keep this connection open, as the port forwarding tunnels through
this secure connection.

3) When, from the client machine (or any other machine), I ssh to port
1025 on gateway, it is forwarded to port 22 on the Mac and I connect.
Note that I could do the same thing with http and port 80, etc.

>From the man page:

        Specifies that the given port on the remote (server) host is to
        be forwarded to the given host and port on the local side.  This
        works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the remote
        side, and whenever a connection is made to this port, the connec­
        tion is forwarded over the secure channel, and a connection is
        made to host port hostport from the local machine.  Port forward­
        ings can also be specified in the configuration file.  Privileged
        ports can be forwarded only when logging in as root on the remote
        machine.

So, unless you can SSH to the router, this won't work.  However, ussually
broadband routers have a setting that allows forwarding of a port at the
router to a port on an internal machine.  So you should be able to forward
router port 22 to Mac port 22 using that, if your router supports it.

Good Luck,
Dan

--
Dan Morrison                                             http://www.eagle7.org