Disk utility wierdness

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Feb 10 18:09:19 PST 2004

I have a number of drives on my 10.2.3 system.

After the last security update, I went to fix permissions and noticed a
strange "thing."

The left hand panel contains a dividing line for some reason, and below
that line is a .DMG file (belongs to an epson printer driver update.)
Above the line are all of the "normal" disk drives.

All of the information about the image is correct - not mounted, its
location, etc.

A) What does the line indicate?

B) Why is the DMG there? -- after reboot, i.e. when the DMG is NOT
mounted.

C) Why don't all the other DMG files I have on various drives
(including on that same drive) show up in Disk Utility?

D) Why doesn't it go away?

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com