/dev/fd/*

Jeep Hauser jhauser at usc.edu
Tue Feb 17 09:41:28 PST 2004

Hi folks,

A friend's box was broken into (a Raq, not MOSX), and one of the
commands the intruder did was:

	find / -mmin -180 -ls

If I understand this correctly, it will traverse the entire
filesystem (when executed as root) and list (in -ls format) every
file that has been modified in the last 180 minutes (though I'm not
sure wh

For kick, I ran this on my MOSX box and found a *ton* of stuff in
various /dev/fd/* subdirectories, notably .jpg files that are
mirrored in my /Users/<username>/Photos/iPhoto Library directory. I
can't seem to find a pattern as to why these files are still in
/dev/fd (not all of my iPhoto files are in there, just some), nor why
the output of the find command doesn't seem to limit itself to the
last 180 minutes.

On the Raq (sorry, but I don't know the shell used), it truly returns
files modified within 180 minutes. On my MOSX (10.3.2) tsch shell, it
returns files going back to last summer.

When using '180' instead of '-180' it returns nothing at all. I don't
know the difference, and the man pages aren't helping me figure that
out.

Soooo... is find misbehaving? Is it MOSX?

How about all those files in /dev/df/* -- are those really just
pointers to the actual files, or actual files? What I could find on
/dev/df/* on Google talks about how it's like a /tmp for various
things, but it's more complex than what I'm familiar with.

Thanks much,

Jeep