[X-Unix] /dev/fd/*

Jeep Hauser jhauser at usc.edu
Wed Feb 18 09:23:09 PST 2004

At 6:35 PM +0000 2/17/04, Stroller wrote:

>Which means about as much to me as it does to you, however these
>links are perhaps enlightening:

Heheh, yes. And thanks for those links, it got the brain synapses shooting.

>My best guess is that you had iPhoto open at the time. I suspect
>that if you rebooted & tried this `find` command again with  minimal
>applications open it would find far fewer results. But to avoid such
>spurious matches you should probably use something like `find /
>-mmin -180 -not -path /dev -ls`  [2]

>Try it again, excluding /dev (if the command I just gave doesn't
>work, then just pipe the output to `grep -v /dev`   ;-])

Actually, iPhoto wasn't open, nor have most of the other files that
were found. That's why I was wondering why the pointers in /dev were
still there. I rebooted and ran the command again, and still got a
lot of garbage in /dev.

The stuff in /dev is also found in their "actual" locations with that
command. For instance:

	Dec 30 02:17 /Volumes/Hard Drive/Applications/Adobe Reader
6.0/Adobe Reader 6.0.app/Contents/PkgInfo

	Dec 30 02:17 /Applications/Publishing/Adobe Reader 6.0/Adobe
Reader 6.0.app/Contents/PkgInfo

Neither of those are in /dev, but are found as modified within the
last 180 minutes. You can see by the date, they clearly are not.

A sample of something in /dev and at their real location would be this:

	Jun 23 21:00 /dev/fd/3/Pictures/NYC Fall 2001/NYC_Day6/DSC00359.JPG

	Jun 23 21:00 /Users/jhauser/Pictures/NYC Fall
2001/NYC_Day6/DSC00359.JPG

I'm beginning to think that something isn't cleaning up properly, or
find on MOSX is having troubles.

>It doesn't help that the BSD man page for `find` is pants. The GNU
>one (on my Linux system) seems to answer your question:

Yes! Thanks again - good tip for me to check out my Linux box when my
MOSX man pages crap out.

Jeep