[X-Unix] Sudo as Another User

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Wed Feb 25 07:27:17 PST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Alex wrote:

> My understanding of man sudo is that I should be able to run sudo as
> another user with the -u option, thus
>
> sudo -u <admin_user> rm /Library/Preference/Logs/panic.log
>
> However, it doesn't work -- the result is a message stating that the
> current user is not in the sudoers file, etc.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Am I misreading man sudo?

You're fine as far as sudo goes.  However, the non-admin user needs to be
a member of the "admin" group in order to be able to sudo.  (There's a lot
of users you don't want to ever be able to gain root access.)  Making them
an administrative user in System Preferences/Accounts does this
automatically, but if you don't want to do that you can use NetInfo
Manager to add them to the admin group.  There may also be a separate
"sudoers" file that would provide even finer control, don't know as I've
never needed that.

KeS