[X-Unix] Hidden files - purpose?

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Tue Jan 20 22:09:18 PST 2004

On 20 Jan, 2004, at 14:20, Robert Ameeti wrote:
> I'm having a bit of a problem with my Dreamweaver connecting to MySQL
> database on my computer. I've just found out that Macromedia is using
> some 'hidden file' so as to enable a connection for those times when a
> connection might not otherwise be allowed
> <http://www.dreamweavermxsupport.com/index.php?
> type=article&id=85&block=1&pid=60&sid=61>
>
> Is this appropriate? Is there any proper use of a hidden file like
> this?
>
> To fix my problem, is there any easy way to determine what the name of
> this hidden file might be?

It is probably simply a "dot" file.

According to the page it is in the root of the webserver:

ls -al /Library/WebServer/Documents
(or wherever you have the web server root defined to be.)

will show you a list of all the files. look for one near the top of the
listing which begins ".<filename>" -- The files "." and ".." are
standard Unix directory nomenclature.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000 - [Alpha EV6]
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com