[X-Unix] So what is a dmg file?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Thu Jan 22 07:12:09 PST 2004

.dmg  .smi   are two Apple disk image formats that are rather new.

How long will they be supported? Is it reasonable to use them for such things as archiving on a CD-ROM? Some of the older floppy image files that I once made can be unpacked only if I crank up my Mac IIFX for the job. Remember DropDisk?

For the last few years I have limited myself to ASCII text and things like tab separated columns instead of .xls for data. Now with UTF-8, 16, and 32 I'm worried about that.

Format-creep seems to be a modern buzzword. Is something like .dmg, with a promise from Apple, the answer? Don't we owe paleontologists of CY 3000 the equivalent of stone tablets?

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--