[X-Unix] Syslogd on panther

Ken Rossman rossman at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 28 16:00:54 PST 2004

On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 06:45 PM, William H. Magill wrote:
> Ok... what version of syslogd is Apple using under Panther?
>
> Strings claim it is:
>    8.2 (Berkeley) 11/16/93
> but it is not even close to the version documented in the man page:
>
> /usr/sbin/syslogd -?
> usage: syslogd [-46Acdknosuv] [-a allowed_peer]
>                [-b bind address] [-f config_file]
>                [-l log_socket] [-m mark_interval]
>                [-P pid_file] [-p log_socket]
>
> It is launched with an undocumented flag "-s", and in general does not
> work "correctly" -- that is as I expect syslogd from previous versions
> (and other Unix).
>
> One problem is that it generates errors if the log file does not pre-
> exist instead of opening the file.

Regardless of what version the syslogd daemon itself claims to be (and I
would be inclined to believe what the internal string claims), I've
noted
that the man pages (at least in Jaguar, probably also in Panther), are
out of date and otherwise just plain wrong in many cases.

The info in the man pages is helpful at times, but I would place little
faith in their overall accuracy.