[X-Unix] Altering .bashrc in bash to add to $PATH

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Jan 8 13:24:50 PST 2004

>On 08 Jan, 2004, at 10:11, Doug McNutt wrote:
>
>>At 22:05 -0800 1/7/04, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>>>echo $SHELL gives me /bin/bash
>>>echo $PATH gives me /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
>>
>>I'm a tcsh kind of guy but I have had similar problems.
>
>The important thing to understand here is that you are talking about apples and oranges. They just look the same because they are both round:
>
>  ...  The traditional Unix "dot files" (aka "Resource Control" or ".rc" files)
>        and "environment.plist."

While I appreciate the education, I am not any closer in getting where I need to be.

When I am using terminal, I want to be able to just type sql and be able to access that command. For that, I understand that I must enhance my path. I am currently set to using bash as that is what Apple set as my default shell. It seems that others typically are using tcsh and perhaps I should be changing to that. I am open to that option if I am more likely to get answers to my questions as I am new to all of this.

I am thinking that I am hearing that while using bash, the file that I should instead be altering/creating is .bash_profile as this is the file that will allow me to more easily use my sql command. Is this correct given my current bash shell?

--
Robert Ameeti

The Police Are Not Here To Create Disorder. They're Here To Preserve Disorder.

- Former Chicago Mayor Daley During The Infamous 1968 Convention